Last week, I introduced Zimlets: magical pieces of code within Zimbra that make both the Zimbra Web Client and the Zimbra Desktop easier to use. A Zimlet can also be used to integrate Zimbra with other third-party information systems used by your organization, such as WebEx and SalesForce.
This week, we will take a look at a Zimlet that integrates Zimbra with the third-party information system WebEx.
If your organization uses WebEx, you will probably have the WebEx Zimlet. To see if you do, scroll down to the bottom of your navigation pane, as shown below. If you see WebEx, you have the Zimlet.
You can use the WebEx Zimlet as a short cut to do several things.
1. You can drag an email and drop it onto the WebEx Zimlet in the navigation pane to start an instant WebEx meeting. Everyone addressed in the To and Cc fields of the email will automatically receive an invitation to the WebEx meeting.
2. You can automatically create a WebEx meeting while creating a Zimbra meeting, and the WebEx details will be added to the Notes area of the meeting invitation. This saves you the extra steps of navigating to WebEx, creating the meeting, and pasting the meeting information into the invitation.
There are a few steps required to activate the Zimlet.
1. Right-click the WebEx Zimlet and select Manage Accounts.
2. Complete your WebEx account information in the Manage Accounts dialog box.
Now you can:
1. Drag any email and drop it onto the WebEx Zimlet in the navigation pane to start an instant WebEx meeting. Everyone addressed in the email will automatically receive an invitation to join the WebEx meeting.
2. Add a WebEx meeting when creating a meeting in Zimbra using the WebEx menu in the Appointment tab.
For more information about Zimlets, visit zimbra.org. Here you will find a list of all Zimlets available along with a description of the Zimlet.