Focusing on security and privacy while continuing our dedication to our open source community
BUFFALO – July 13, 2016 – Synacor, Inc. (Nasdaq:SYNC), the trusted multiscreen technology and monetization partner for video, internet and communications providers, device manufacturers and enterprises, today announced the latest product release—Zimbra Collaboration 8.7—by Zimbra, the world’s leading open source-based email and collaboration software. Zimbra Collaboration 8.7 is specifically enhanced for global enterprises and service providers, including Two-Factor Authentication (2FA), a new Zimbra Packaging System, SSL Server Name Identification (SNI), and Zimbra Postscreen, and all delivering a low total cost of ownership (TCO).
For Enterprise Customers, Zimbra 8.7 delivers enhanced security and a lower TCO
- 2FA offers enterprises enhanced user-account security
- Postscreen offers enterprise customers enhanced anti-spam capabilities and reduced infrastructure overhead required for SMTP processes
- SSL SNI allows enterprises to cost-effectively deliver domain specific SSL certificates
For Service Providers, Zimbra 8.7 delivers streamlined deployment, product differentiation, and reduced TCO
- New packaging repository improves the ability for service providers to patch third-party packages without having to upgrade an entire installation
- 2FA offers service providers competitive differentiation in the marketplace
- Postscreen offers service providers enhanced anti-spam capabilities and reduced infrastructure overhead required for SMTP processes
- SSL SNI allows service providers to cost-effectively deliver domain specific SSL certificates
Customers already upgrading to Zimbra 8.7
- Customers are eager to upgrade and take advantage of the 2600+ enhancements and bug-fixes delivered in 8.7
- New packaging repository gives customers rapid and painless patching of third-party packages
“Zimbra Collaboration 8.7, the highly anticipated new Release of Zimbra, is here. The focus of our latest release is security, privacy and reliability specifically geared to our enterprise and service provider customers, and also continuing our dedication to our Open Source Community,”said Brent Rhymes, EVP, Enterprise Sales & Marketing, Synacor.
“To help our customers and partners better meet critical security needs, Zimbra invested serious development time into a 2FA feature, as well as a new packaging system that helps in the security and administration of Zimbra Collaboration. We also are debuting postscreen functionality and SSL SNI, features that will appeal to hosting providers.”
Key Enhancements offered in Zimbra Collaboration 8.7
- The security of each individual user is a prerequisite in most enterprises. Zimbra Collaboration 8.7 includes a native 2FA feature that doesn’t require a plugin at the server or user level, and works with the most well know OTP mobile applications. With 2FA, two components are required to log into an email account—something the user knows: a password, user ID, etc., and something the user possesses: a smartphone or USB-key.
- With the new packaging system in Zimbra Collaboration 8.7, applying security patches and Zimbra updates are easier than ever before. When a new vulnerability arises, it’s simple updating of individual Zimbra components instead of the entire Zimbra package (typically a full upgrade).
- Zimbra Collaboration 8.7 comes with postscreen at the MTA-level. The postscreen daemon provides additional protection against mail server overload. By keeping spambots away, postscreen leaves more SMTP server processes available for legitimate clients and delays the onset of server overload conditions.
- Customers and Business Service Providers (BSP) hosting multiple Zimbra domains now have official support for Multiple SSL domains on a single server (SNI) for HTTPS connections. With 8.7 it is now possible to publish multiple SSL Certificates using one single IPv4.
More to come from Synacor’s Zimbra Product
Zimbra’s active and vibrant Partner Community continues to leverage the Zimbra platform to extend Zimbra products through Zimlets and APIs. In the last year, Zimbra Partners have integrated Zimbra with Plone, BroadSoft, ThinkFree, Alfresco, ownCloud and other open source products to create rich end-user experiences. Synacor expects to offer many of these valuable integrations as Zimbra add-on packages in 2016 and beyond. And the synergies between Synacor and Zimbra continue to present themselves, springing from last year’s Synacor acquisition of Zimbra. Together, Zimbra and Synacor combine their resources and deep expertise to propel products and services into the future—and best serve customers and partners around the world. Today’s news comes off the heels of Zimbra’s recent Zimbra Talk and Zimbra Momentum announcements.
Known for managed portals and apps, advertising, email and collaboration, authentication, and end-to-end advanced video services, Synacor (Nasdaq:SYNC) is the trusted technology development, multiplatform services and revenue partner for video, internet and communications providers, device manufacturers, and enterprises. We deliver modern, multiscreen experiences and advertising to their consumers that require scale, actionable data and sophisticated implementation. Synacor enables our customers to better engage with their consumers. www.synacor.com
Zimbra, a Synacor product, connects people and information with unified collaboration software that includes email, calendaring, file sharing, chat and video chat. Zimbra is trusted by more than 5,000 companies and government customers, as well as by service providers who manage Zimbra in the cloud for more than 200,000 businesses. With customers including Comcast, Dell, Investec, Rackspace, Red Hat, Mozilla, H&R Block and Vodafone, a vibrant open source community and worldwide partner network, Zimbra is the largest provider of open source collaboration software in the world. www.zimbra.com